Tuesday, May 03, 2016

Interview with author of Love & Gelato, Jenna Evans Welch!

Tuesday, May 03, 2016

Hey guys! It's Rin here and by the time you're reading this, it should be May 3! The release of Love & Gelato by Jenna Welch! This book is one of my anticipated 2016 debut releases! Today, we have the lovely Jenna Evans Welch on Under Covers with an interview! Don't forget to check out her book Love & Gelato. I hope you enjoy!


---


1. Hi, Jenna! Welcome to Under Covers! First of all, let’s start with some introductions: Favorite book? Favorite shows? What you do love doing when you’re not writing?
My all time favorite book is called "A Yellow Raft in Blue Water" by Michael Dorris--it's the same story told by three different people (daughter, mother and grandmother) and shows how we can be in the same situations and having totally different experiences, which is so fascinating to me! And as far as YA books, I loved "Something Real" by Heather Demetrios.
2. What inspired you to write this book?
When I was fifteen my parents moved me and my four younger siblings to a little house in Tuscany. I ended up being there for two years, attending an International High School, and I have thought about those experiences ever since! I had a friend there named Ioiana whose father was the caretaker of an American Cemetery just outside of Florence, which meant she lived in the middle of this cemetery. I always thought it would make an interesting setting!
3. Did you map out the plot of this book or did you “go with the flow”?
I had a basic idea for the plot, but as the story progressed there were definitely a few surprises! I don't want to give anything away, but one of the biggest twists at the end was not part of my original plan!
4. Did you base any of your characters off of real people?
Yes! Ioiana, of course, but a lot of the other teens Lina meets there are based on people I went to school with.
5. If one day you choose to buy 5 scoops of gelato, what flavors would you choose?
Hmmm. I'd probably start with three scoops of bacio gelato (chocolate with roasted hazelnuts, yum!) and then get a scoop of coco (coconut) and yogurt, which is tangy and delicious!
6. Some advice you would give Lina for her journey?
Open yourself up to any adventures that come your way!
7. Do you share any personality traits with Lina?
I'd actually say I'm a bit more like Lina's mother, Hadley. But I am a bit more reserved like Lina is!

8. What is your favorite part/memory about living in Italy?
All of the people I met! I absolutely loved making friends from all over the world, and eve though it has been many years since I've seen most of them, I think about them very often.
---

Love & Gelato
by Jenna Evans Welch
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Series: None
Genres: YA, Contemporary, Romance
find this book on

Lina is spending the summer in Tuscany, but she isn’t in the mood for Italy’s famous sunshine and fairy-tale landscape. She’s only there because it was her mother’s dying wish that she get to know her father. But what kind of father isn’t around for sixteen years? All Lina wants to do is get back home.

But then Lina is given a journal that her mom had kept when she lived in Italy. Suddenly Lina’s uncovering a magical world of secret romances, art, and hidden bakeries. A world that inspires Lina, along with the ever-so-charming Ren, to follow in her mother’s footsteps and unearth a secret that has been kept from Lina for far too long. It’s a secret that will change everything she knew about her mother, her father—and even herself.

People come to Italy for love and gelato, someone tells her, but sometimes they discover much more.

---



Jenna Evans Welch


Jenna Evans Welch spent her high school years in Florence, Italy, where she drove a scooter, danced in fountains, and ate entirely too much gelato. She now lives in Salt Lake City, Utah, with her husband and young son. 

Read her blog, The Green Lemon, at JennaEvansWelch.com.


find her: goodreads | twitter | pinterest

tell me: do you want to read Love & Gelato? E

No comments :

Post a Comment

under covers + BLOG DESIGN BY Labinastudio