Friday, October 23, 2015

Review + Book to TV Discussion: The 100 (#1) by Kass Morgan

Friday, October 23, 2015

title: The 100 (#1)
author: Kass Morgan
publisher: Little, Brown and Company
pages: 323
genre: Young Adult | Science Fiction | Dystopia | Romance

date of publication: 3 September 2013
more: Goodreads

No one has set foot on Earth in centuries -- until now. 

Ever since a devastating nuclear war, humanity has lived on spaceships far above Earth's radioactive surface. Now, one hundred juvenile delinquents -- considered expendable by society -- are being sent on a dangerous mission: to recolonize the planet. It could be their second chance at life...or it could be a suicide mission. 

CLARKE was arrested for treason, though she's haunted by the memory of what she really did. WELLS, the chancellor's son, came to Earth for the girl he loves -- but will she ever forgive him? Reckless BELLAMY fought his way onto the transport pod to protect his sister, the other half of the only pair of siblings in the universe. And GLASS managed to escape back onto the ship, only to find that life there is just as dangerous as she feared it would be on Earth. 

Confronted with a savage land and haunted by secrets from their pasts, the hundred must fight to survive. They were never meant to be heroes, but they may be mankind's last hope.



book 
Science fiction is a look into another world. 

In this case, The 100, was a look into a world where to breathe and to live was something that had to be fought for. Teenage delinquents were being brought onto Earth for a chance to discover if the planet they once called their home, was survivable once again. This is a story of survival, strength, and a whole new inside look on what life would be like, if we did not have the one resource we never thought we would lose.

The 100 was a fun engaging read with a kickass plotline. Evolving characters that the reader will grow to live for, breathe for, kill for, and die for (okay may not the kill for part). I felt touches of heartache at the right spots, and touches of feelings that ignited in me for these characters and the struggles that they have to go through without further warning or advice on what they are doing wrong or what they have to do. Characters that I loved from the start, and characters that I grew to love over time. 

I was obsessed with reading this series (still have to read the third book). I wanted to know exactly what would happen next, and I wanted to know right that second. It was interesting and new to my palette. Believe me, I know when I am obsessed with a book. How? I start trying to find fan fiction on. And if you are asking. Yes, I did find some. No comment :)

Clarke Moment: 
#thateyebrowtho
(Gif is Borrowed from the Web)
Even in my devotion for this book, I did sense some problems that did occur to me. I had trouble finding credibility in some characters. Listing: Clarke, Bellamy (but I love him), Luke, and Wells. There was something off about the way they acted sometimes. With such a unique plot, I felt that there could have been more done to build it up to it's full potential. And even though this book did not pass my highest expectations, I did really enjoy it. 

I applaud The 100, for getting me to turn it's pages and read my heart out. I also recommend this for those of you (if you watched the show) who do not mind the changes that much. To those of you who are looking for a book trilogy that mill make you want more. 

show
(Picture is borrowed from the Web)
I was expecting a lot from this book-and this series in general. I watched the show first. I would feel guilty about this, other than the other element that well, I would never have actually given this book a second thought if I did not hear all the good things that were being said. 

I'm going to be honest with all of you, the the show was nothing like the book. Nothing like the book! Though, the outer ring of plot (or the smaller details) did however stay the same. Yet, some of the most important aspects that make up everything that I have first known were erased and changed. Yes I really loved the show. Yes I would do anything for the show. Yes it is one of my lifetime favorite shows in the whole entire world-but. There's always a but. 

I could tell that the script writers and the director did try to put in some points in the first book to the first season that would make them kind of similar *shrugs*. I could also tell that by the time they decided to make their first change in the story, although still adding similarities, they completely blew the original storyline into space never to be seen again. Once they entered the face of season 2, the original plot was completely gone. But here's the thing, I'm comparing the books to the show and if I were to vote between the two of them, I would tell the truth and say that I loved the show more than I loved the book. 

Even though I enjoyed the storyline and plot of the show over the overall plot of the books, I was sad to realize that they left out or changed some things that I loved the most and really cared about. 

a) GLASS. In the book, the story is told in the points of view of 4 people who are important to the plot. In the show, they took out Glass and her story. I was disappointed to say that I loved reading Glass's point of view. After Bellamy and Clarke, I would be waiting to read what she had to say and what she had to go through to live. 

b) CLARKE'S PARENTS. The script writers and the directors of the show changed many (and I mean many things), but they changed the one most crucial aspect of the book that makes it the book. The book stated that both of Clarke's parents were dead. Wait, let me repeat that word again. Both. Oh yeah, let's also throw in the fact that they changed Clarke's parent's names *throws arms up in the air*. For her mom, the original being Mary to Abigail? For her dad, the original being David to Jake? What? What was the need for this? Her mom plays a huge part in the show and this change was a bit unsettling for me to come to terms with. 

c) BELLAMY AND CLARKE. Their romance begins in the first book. We go through the ups and downs of what they feel and what they have to go through just to find themselves, the people that they love, and the people they want to be-together. They postponed their story and just for the heck of it added Finn and Raven (which I am also sad to say, because I love Raven) to the equation. 

Presenting one of their very few moments (that can't really be called moments):

(Gif is Borrowed from the Web)
Now that I'm starting to think about it,  since the show is so different from the book, Finn might be important just for the way they writers and director want the show to eventually play out. But, that is another story for another time. 

[ minor spoiler ]

d) WELLS. They killed Wells at almost the very beginning of the show. Sure, okay. Did they ever come to realize that fact that Wells is an important character? Isn't that why Kass Morgan decided to section a part of the book to his point of view? Was his part of the story not important enough with the major changes that they made? 

[ end ]

Now I answer the final question, the big question. 

Book or Show?
My honest opinion: Show, but the book was very enjoyable and lovable in it's own way. 

 Thoughts? Share and Comment Down Below! 

follow rin: bloglovin' | twitter | tumblr | goodreads

Post

No comments :

Post a Comment

under covers + BLOG DESIGN BY Labinastudio